Links

Home     About     Contact     Press     Yellow Skirt     SKETCHES

Sunday 7 January 2018

A vamp, an angel, and a couple of stools

Look, new props! So excited. Well, not new, but they are items I dragged into the stairwell to liven things up - my red stool and my step stool. Hurray! I'm sure you'll agree they add a certain je ne sais quoi to my photos.

Below, my casual starlet look, or, uh, maybe a bit older than a starlet. In scientific fact, an older, burned out star is called a white dwarf or a degenerate dwarf because it only has a stellar core remnant, which means my nuclears have stopped but I'm still hot. Okaaaay. That might work. Astronomy has the best words sometimes. Space wormhole, for example, is another favourite.


All I really wanted to say was I am looking glamorously mellow, "Oh, dahling, I'm tiiiired of all the fuss. My driver is waiting." Nothing says glamour quite like batwing eyeliner, although putting it on was like trying to draw on a deflating balloon.

There is definitely a natural ease conveyed when one kneels on a super-hard, gritty concrete step in tights, then leans over and drapes one's arms on a stool with insouciance and props one's camera on a fully extended tripod against a wall so it doesn't fall over and one has to contort one's body to see the preview screen. It's practically second nature to me.

And more photos with The Prop.


Why is it that men can sit open-legged and not worry about putting a hand or a sweater or something else in front of their groinal apex? That's just wrong. Ain't nothing wrong with my envelope! And yet I persist in hiding, dare I say, the flaps, like my mail is on the prohibited list and has a big red stamp across it: customs and duty are owed! (snort of disgust)

If I see a man sitting like this on the train, hogging all the seats, I think, pig, go aerate somewhere else so I can frigging sit down. But a woman sitting like this? She's not only rude for hogging the seats, but she's extending an invitation, if you know what I mean, wink. Pathetic!

I don't sit like this on the train, by the way. I seldom ride trains. I seldom sit like this at all, but I'm making a point here, after the fact. "Knees together, ladies!" she trills. Puh. A little rebellion for the new year is definitely in order. I encourage all of you to sit like this for your next photos too. Hahaha!!


I'm wearing my DIY Middle Aged Kitteh t-shirt with a skirt hoisted with Calvin and Hobbes suspenders, a great gift from Bella of Citizen Rosebud years ago. I didn't like the skirt hanging below the hem of my coat. Under the t-shirt is a cotton camisole and another 3/4-sleeve shirt. And my boots.

I wore this, with a shaggy coat on top, to go buy frozen corn. We were out. I love corn. It's one of my favourite vegetables, categorized as such because I buy "fresh" corn. Dried-up corn is a grain. You may ask, does that mean over-cooked fresh corn turns back into a grain? No. It's just compost. Popcorn is also considered a grain, which is preposterous. Popcorn is movie food, a category unto itself. (And I worried whether I would have anything to write about in this post.)


And below, yet another prop, my step stool, which I also hauled into the concrete studio. These props are horribly unwieldy. Banging, clattering, me gasping, doors shutting on chair legs, tripod legs, real legs, expletives in foreign languages (which don't count). Where's my assistant!? Thus, these props will remain a special photo treat (liberal use of the word) for me.

The next all white/ivory outfit was interesting. So many associations - dairymaid, something from The Handmaid's Tale or Tess of the d'Urbervilles, tired hurdy-gurdy or dancehall girl in a gold-rush town (maybe because I just watched Godless), novitiate, and more.


Again, the Calvin and Hobbes suspenders were used to hold up this strapless soft baby-corduroy dress. The white top is actually a longish cotton nightgown. I removed all the eyelet lace trim to make it less nightgowny, and I floofed it at the top so it's spilling out of the bodice.


Patterned leggings and patterned socks and my brown booties finish the look. And we can't forget my magic loupe, which goes everywhere with me. Made by O and now restocked in his Etsy store HERE. Go buy one now. Heh.



From my stellar core remnant to yours, I hope you have a cosmic week. Keep that hot core and planetary nebula stoked! Yeeeeah! Hot nebs, it's a new term, you read it here first. And probably last. Or it could be a snack food.

Finally, for over a year I've been wanting to share this short ad with you and kept forgetting. See? I have a great memory for remembering what I forgot, but not for putting what I was supposed to remember. ???  It's for Shiseido brand cosmetics. I love it. O found it for me. You have to watch the whole thing.



Of course, I'll be linking up to Patti at Not Dead Yet Style, her Visible Monday gang, and Catherine at Not Dressed as Lamb and her #iwillwearwhatilike. Till next time, kittehs!


17 comments:

  1. Didn t expect nothing else from you but a little rebbelioness!😂😂 Your Hair is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious. if I say I lurve your stools, and I too scatty? You are free to edit this comment! The suspenders, the eyeliner, all the details that make you unforgettable. Thanks for linking up, never stop never stopping, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new prop is fantastic! Is that the one you recovered yourself?

    You use a stairwell like a pro woman. So many great artsy shots here. Really you should be giving a class about how to use your imagination to take better photos. I need your help!

    I see an envelope tee in the future. So many things to say about an envelope I never thought of before. My tee will say "sealed envelope". TMI? I know lots of women that would agree to "lick to seal". Okay...I've stepped over the line now.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your face!!! People have commented on how my girls sit, like boys, spread out----and I only make them move or adjust out of politeness for other people to have space. I've never made them learn to close their legs for propriety only because it's bullshit.
    That video is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous shots on the stairs - bravo to the photographer. x Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stools, envelopes, flaps, and manspreading, all in one post. It's like Christmas all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make a stairwell into a freaky fine place to make art.
    The white dress photos are my favorites. White pinwale corduroy is the most glamorous kind. You seem so wistfully sad in these photos. Perhaps it's because you had to drag the props home. It was well worth it Melanie. Love, Jude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only you could look so impossibly chic in the stairwell. Props to you and your new props! I love your scientific analogy. You will always have your stellar core, in fact it defines you. Still a star in my book- quite a bright one in fact!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. did I say "snow"? It was 73 here today. Godless was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that SHISEIDO ad, had no idea they were boys. You make the most of that stairwell as a photo location. You look very "Swinton" in the first photo!

    Drives me crazy when guys do the manspreading thing on the bus, taking up two seats when there are none to spare, and it's worse when you're the one sitting next to them and their legs are invading your seat space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are working it. And I luv the white version, yes I do. Sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was an excellent post, displaying your creativity. And yes it is hard work to get these photos with the right props haha. But, silver lining here, you didn't have to worry about the weather.
    As for the Shiseido add.... terrific. It reminds me a little of the Dove video about our distorted perception of beauty. Totally different subject, but equally interesting.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got it in one, Mel, re the open legged pose. As females we have been conditioned NOT to sit in this pose as it can be seen as an invitation for 'unwanted' sexual attention...

    You're looking wonderful as always with or without props!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your thoughts on manspreading, props, and defiance for the New Year have me captivated. Fabulous ensembles, as always. May your creativity soar to new levels in 2018. I will be following you wherever you go, thrilling all of us along the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shiseido ad is so awesome! I used to teach in a Japanese high school and this brought back so many memories, including the slippers everyone had to slide into upon entering the building.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...